Monday, April 18, 2011

Let's talk about Kickstarter.

Kickstarter is a fundraising tool that can be used by anyone to fund basically any project. A couple of months back, a few friends of mine in the band Gabriel the Marine used kickstarter to successfully raise enough money to fund the making of their new record while offering fans anything from thank you notes to downloads to dinner with the band in exchange for their donations. GTM had a very specific goal and I liked what they were giving back in exchange for donations. That was the first time I had heard of kickstarter.

As of recently, I've gotten quite a few facebook invitations to donate to various kickstarter projects. The difference with these projects is that the message is now too vague. "Help me continue being a musician," is what most of them are saying. I don't know if they're writing albums or going on tour, etc. If all of sudden artists are looking for general support probably because it's easy with kickstarter. Personally, I feel like I'm wasting my money donating to that cause especially when there were tons of bands struggling way before kickstarter. Personally, I feel like kickstarter can be a way for bands to get lazy, but it can also be a great way to fund worth while projects that could not be done otherwise. I recently stumbled upon this PropertyOfZack blog that explains some of this a little more in depth from an industry perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment